- 74% of Smart Phone shopper make a purchase as a result of using their smart phones to help with shopping, and
- 88% of those who look for local information on their smart phones take action within a day.
These are some of the key findings from “The Mobile Movement: Understanding Smartphone Users,” a study from Google and conducted by Ipsos OTX, an independent market research firm, among 5,013 US adult smart phone Internet users at the end of 2010.
General Smartphone Usage:
Smart phones have become an integral part of users’ daily lives. Consumers use smart phones as an extension of their desktop computers and use it as they multi-task and consume other media.
- 81% browse the Internet, 77% search, 68% use an app, and 48% watch videos on their smart phone
- 72% use their smart phones while consuming other media, with a third while watching TV
- 93% of smart phone owners use their smart phones while at home
Action-Oriented Searchers: Mobile search is heavily used to find a wide variety of information and to navigate the mobile Internet.
- Search engine websites are the most visited websites with 77% of smart phone users citing this, followed by social networking, retail and video sharing websites
- Nine out of ten smart phone searches results in an action (purchasing, visiting a business, etc.)
- 24% recommended a brand or product to others as a result of a smart phone search
Local Information Seekers: Looking for local information is done by virtually all smart phone users and consumers are ready to act on the information they find.
- 95% of smart phone users have looked for local information
- 88% of these users take action within a day, indicating these are immediate information needs
- 77% have contacted a business, with 61% calling and 59% visiting the local business
Purchase-driven Shoppers: Smart phones have become an indispensable shopping tool and are used across channels and throughout the research and decision-making process.
- 79% of smart phone consumers use their phones to help with shopping, from comparing prices, finding more product info to locating a retailer
- 74% of smart phone shoppers make a purchase, whether online, in-store, or on their phones
- 70% use their smart phones while in the store, reflecting varied purchase paths that often begin online or on their phones and brings consumers to the store
Reaching Mobile Consumers: Cross-media exposure influences smart phone user behaviour and a majority notice mobile ads which leads to taking action on it.
- 71% search on their phones because of an ad exposure, whether from traditional media (68%) to online ads (18%) to mobile ads (27%)
- 82% notice mobile ads, especially mobile display ads and a third notice mobile search ads
- Half of those who see a mobile ad take action, with 35% visiting a website and 49% making a purchase
Implications for your business
The findings of the study have strong implications for businesses and mobile advertisers.
- Make sure you can be found via mobile search as consumers regularly use their phones to find and act on information.
- Incorporate location based products and services and make it easy for mobile customers to reach you because local information seeking is common among smart phone users.
- Develop a comprehensive cross-channel strategy as mobile shoppers use their phones in-store, online and via mobile website and apps to research and make purchase decisions.
- Last, implement an integrated marketing strategy with mobile advertising that takes advantage of the knowledge that people are using their smart phones while consuming other media and are influenced by it.
If you would like to convert 20% or more of your current website visitors into buyers by taking advantage of the Mobile Revolution, get in contact with us today!